From September 19-23, 2020, we’re holding a Joint GNRHS / CPHA 2020 convention in Nelson BC, in the beautiful and historic West Kootenays.
CLICK HERE for full convention details.
CLICK HERE for a printable registration form.
CLICK HERE for a preliminary convention timecard (subject to change)
- This is the first GNRHS convention in Canada, the first joint convention for GNRHS, and the first ever CPHA (Canadian Pacific Historical Association) convention.
- This is also the 50th anniversary year of “MERGER DAY”, when Great Northern ceased to exist. Nelson was the northern-most community, west of the Rocky Mountains, served by the GN at that time.
- There is considerable mining, rail, and sternwheeler history of interest to GNRHS.
- Nelson is the biggest city in the area with a diverse population of over 10,000 people. The legacy of the past, evident in the more than 350 preserved heritage buildings, mixes with a dynamic arts and culture scene. There are many restaurants and arts / crafts / specialty / book stores in the downtown area; as well as a thriving craft beer industry.
- The West Kootenays have many historic small towns, and we will be visiting many of them during our bus tours.
This convention has been several years in the making. We feel we have created an excellent and varied program for our attendees. Come and learn about the very interesting and often acrimonious rail history. Meet the interesting people of the West Kootenays; they are thrilled to have us visit their towns and venues.
The convention is occurring in the third week of September, so we could have “Fall Colours” – bring your cameras!! Enjoy meeting the CPHA attendees, who share our interest in this area.
The Prestige Lakeside Resort and Convention Centre is the centre of all activities and tours.
Click here to learn more, and look for registration info in the March Goat or click the link above!
Tom and Francina Carr,
National Convention Officer and Convention Registrar