The GNRHS functions through the hard work of volunteers and knows no paid positions. From the GNRHS Board of Directors, to the Goat Staff, to Membership Recruiters to the people who help during our Conventions they're all volunteering their time and energy to make the GNRHS the great historical society that it is.
There is always a need for more volunteers to strengthen the ranks, so please let us know when you're interested in helping out.
We are currently looking for volunteers to fill the following positions:
- National Convention Officer and Convention Registrar.
The National Chair interfaces with President and the Board, recruits and guides Local Committees for each site, visits proposed convention venues to assure that they will meet our needs, and develops contracts with hotels and bus companies. The NCO working with the Treasure manages the convention checking account, paying all appropriate bills related to the convention. Travel expenses are reimbursable.This and the Convention Registrar are important positions. The Registrar may also be the National Chair, or the Chair may recruit a Registrar.
A full description of the NCO can be found in the GNRHS Operating Manual, Section III.
- General Counsel.
The General Counsel will review proposed contracts, and advise on other legal matters that may come before the Society. We have a lease renewal coming in fourth quarter of this year. That person will be asked to attend board meetings, which we plan for at least monthly.
A full description can be found in the GNRHS Operating Manual.
- Assistant Membership Officer.
Mary McGlothlin would like to work with a person interested in helping her maintain membership records, process new memberships and renewals, and so forth.
A full description of duties can be found in the GNRHS Operating Manual.
- Assistant Webmaster - Help maintain the GNRHS website and GNRHS Store software.
The Webmaster is responsible for the design, development and ongoing maintenance of the Society’s website GNRHS.org. This includes the online company store and payment processing software in coordination with the Marketing Officer.
- Volunteer Coordinator - Welcome aspiring volunteers and match them up with the correct department within the GNRHS.
The Volunteer Coordinator will:
- Peruse all membership applications where the new member has expressed a desire to help the GNRHS in some capacity. This will require coordination with the Membership Secretary.
- Make contact with these new members to determine their sincerity to help and to determine more specifically what they can do for the GNRHS.
- Direct those volunteers to an officer(s) who may be able to use their talents or help.
- Archive Volunteers - Jackson Street Roundhouse Archives - St. Paul, MN and PNRA Archives, Burien WA - Help in cataloging our large GN Archive holdings.
Volunteer to work in cataloging our large historical archives working either in WA or MN.
In St. Paul you would work with a staff of dedicated volunteers in cataloging our large files of GN AFE’s as well as our collection of photographs. In Burien you again would work with a group of dedicated volunteers cataloging photos and other GN historical documents that pertain to the Pacific Northwest and the GN railway.
Contact the GNRHS President, Mac McCulloch, to volunteer or if you have questions about any of these positions.
We hope to meet you soon as a fellow Volunteer!