Produced by Bethlehem Car Works
GN First Class Coach - HO Scale
This kit is intended to represent Great Northern first class coaches numbered as 950 through 973 and 977. These cars operated on the Cascadian from about 1938 until 1954, but were also used system-wide after their removal from the Empire Builder in 1938.
They were received in September and October 1914 from the Barney & Smith Car Company as all steel first class coaches. Their original numbers were 4500 through 4523 and 4527. They were air conditioned from 1935 through 1938.
Several of the cars in the 950-966 series lasted in revenue service until 1970, and many were repainted in orange and green. Most or the other cars were renumbered into maintenance service in the mid-1960s.
The kit has etched brass sides on a Bethlehem Car Works core kit.
Information can be found in GNRHS Reference Sheet 382 (June 2013). Copies are available from GNRHS.
Model and photos courtesy of Ken Middleton.