Great Northern Railway Historical Society

News

New products added to the Company Store

HO Scale Culverts and Retaining Walls
HO Scale Culverts and Retaining Walls

The GNRHS is happy to announce several new products in the Company Store.

Available now are a Glacier Park Apron and several HO scale culverts and retaining walls.

The HO scale culverts come in three versions:

  • Large wood culverts
  • Small wood culverts
  • Small concrete culverts

 

The HO scale retaining walls are available in two versions:

  • Cut stone retaining wall
  • Concrete precast retaining wall.

All are cast in resin and have been modelled after prototype drawings and specifications.

Check out the Scenery section of the GNRHS Company Store for more information.

Glacier Park Apron

Glacier Park Apron


The Glacier Park 3 Pocket Apron is great for modeling.

Keep small tools and nut and bolts in the pockets for easy access. Comes with patch depicting Glacier National Park. Also great for your summer BBQ!

Check it out in the Apparel section of the GNRHS Company Store.

  Posted on March 26, 2016, by


STARail restores Great Northern boxcar 27429

GN Boxcar 27429
GN Boxcar 27429

A Great Northern boxcar originally built in 1941 has been restored by the St Cloud Area Rail Legacy Museum (STARail). STARail purchased the BN 950661mw, which had been parked on a spur in Northtown in dowdy mineral red maintenance of way colors for many years.

The car was originally built as an external Z-braced wooden boxcar in 1941. It was rebuilt with steel sides at the Waite Park Car Shops in 1961 and painted in the dramatic Glacier Green livery of the day, with the iconic “Standing Rocky” cartoon complementing the traditional “goat in silhouette” in the GN seal which had been used for decades.

GN Boxcar 27429

GN Boxcar 27429

The BN 950661mw car body was restored by Kimball Railcar Services in Kimball, Minnesota, where it was sandblasted, patched, primed, painted and lettered in vinyl. The car also received a clear anti-graffiti coating. It was moved on January 28, 2016 to Waite Park, where it joined the other two GN Car Shops-built cars on the STARail display track adjacent to the Shops, the red X-240 caboose (given to STARail in 2011 by the GNRHS) and the GN 2537 express boxcar (a video of the restoration and move of GN 2537 can be seen on YouTube).

  Posted on March 25, 2016, by


New Directors Elected

All ballots have been counted and the results of the Board election are in.  

We would like to welcome Scott Tanner, as well as welcome back Don McGlothlin, to the GNRHS Board.

We would also like to thank Bill McGinley for his willingness to run for the Board.

A big thank you goes out to Bill Sornsin who is stepping down after serving two 6-year terms as a Director, and for all his hard work during that period. His contributions have been many. Bill  continues as the GNRHS Treasurer.

Scott Tanner

Scott Tanner

Don McGlothlin

Don McGlothlin

Meet the Board
Contact the Board

  Posted on March 18, 2016, by


Search GNRHS.org and our Archives